For Immediate Release
TRAFFICK911 RECEIVES GRANT FROM OFFICE OF THE TEXAS GOVERNOR’S
CHILD SEX TRAFFICKING TEAM TO SERVE SURVIVORS
ADDISON, TX. (June 13, 2017) – Non-governmental organization Traffick911 is pleased to announce it has received a capacity grant from the Office of the Texas Governor’s Child Sex Trafficking Team to recover and restore survivors of child sex trafficking. These funds will support Traffick911’s Empowerment Program which includes direct services such as crisis response, case management, and volunteer advocate program to support survivors in their journey to empowered living. The grant contracts Traffick911 to provide these services in the North Texas counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Johnson, Parker, Rockwall, and Tarrant.
As a part of this program, first responders will be able to call Traffick911 for 24-hour crisis response to aid a sex trafficking victim in emergency services and begin case management. Then we will work to pair that survivor with a seasoned advocate (mentor) who will support them on their journey to healing. Our team will work closely with regional multi-disciplinary teams for a collaborative effort to wrap individualized services around each victim.
“Youth traumatized by the brutality of sex trafficking deserve the chance to reach their full potential. The Governor’s office has innovatively drawn together multi-disciplinary teams to make real impact in these young lives and reduce the long-term negative effects on our communities. We appreciate the Child Sex Trafficking Team’s urgency to explore promising practices and strengthen collaborations in our region. We are as urgent as they are to hear the stories of lives transformed through the innovative support we can now better provide trafficking survivors,” said George Lynch, CEO, Traffick911.
The Office of the Governor’s Child Sex Trafficking Team has awarded this two-year grant through a competitive application and review process. Funding begins June 2017. This grant provides 80% funding for Traffick911’s full-time Survivor Empowerment staff (Licensed Social Worker, Advocate Manager and Administrative Coordinator) and program costs. The remaining 20% of the program is to be funded through community donations and foundation grants.
“The Governor's Child Sex Trafficking Team looks forward to working with Traffick911 to bring much needed advocacy and case management services to North Texas,” said Andrea Sparks, Director, Office of the Texas Governor’s Child Sex Trafficking Team.
Traffick911 works to free youth from sex trafficking through prevention, identification and empowerment. Since 2009, Traffick911 has educated over 67,800 individuals face-to-face, identified 720 victims across Texas, and worked with law enforcement in 16 Texas counties. Traffick911 has been honored by Homeland Security Investigations, the Fort Worth Council of Women and other law enforcement and community organizations. In 2017, Traffick911 was named Nonprofit of the Year by the Junior League of Collin County. www.traffick911.com.
About the Office of the Texas Governor’s Child Sex Trafficking Team
The 84th Texas Legislature established the Governor’s Child Sex Trafficking Team (CSTT) created in 2016. The CSTT announced the first funding cycle for child sex trafficking victim services in December 2016. The team’s mission is to protect children by building their awareness of and resilience to child exploitation and curbing demand for child sex trafficking; to recognize child sex trafficking in all its forms by raising public awareness; to recover survivors through concerted system efforts; to restore survivors through immediate and long-term services and supports they need; and to recover and bring justice for survivors by holding traffickers, buyers, and those who profit from trafficking accountable.
For press information, please contact:
Chief Programs Officer
817-575-9923, press 0
Survivor Policy for Press
The most common question we receive from the press is the request to talk to or interview a survivor of sex trafficking. Traffick911 has a very strict agency policy for providing survivors for interviews and will not, under any circumstances, provide or refer a survivor for this purpose. Regardless of his/her age, if their face will not be shown, voice changed, etc. After eight years of operation, we have found this process more often than not to be more harmful than helpful. We certainly recognize the importance of the public hearing the stories and becoming aware, but our first and foremost priority is protecting survivors and empowering them on their road to recovery.
Recommended Reading for Press, Writers, Journalists
“Want to help survivors of child sex trafficking? Stop using these terms” - CNN, August 2018
“When it comes to helping sex trafficking victims, success is elusive” - Texas Tribune, 2017